- 2019-10-06 Perl 5.30 - oh my
I like this:
Declarations such as my $x if 0 are no longer permitted.
- What's new in Perl 5.30.0
- 2017-01-22 Writing long numbers in Python 3.6
I love this new innovation in Python - you can make long numbers more readable with underscores (e.g. 1_000_000).
Perl has had this for... how long? At least...
- 2016-06-19 Source code management history
In the Hacker News discussion of the open sourcing of BitKeeper (oh, the irony (or not, according to its owner)) there was a cool sub-thread about version control...
- 2016-06-13 Lisp dialect pop quiz
"Hey, pop quiz! Which of these languages is the best Lisp dialect?
The answer, of course,...
- 2014-12-06 Too little time, too many links
Here is a bunch of apparently rare Hunter S. Thompson articles, that I ought to read: *HST – Rare Articles.
I have been trying to get myself together to learn...
- 2014-06-09 Perl on Stackoverflow
Funny how many of the bad questions about Perl on Stackoverflow are related to handling files coming from microbiology.
I guess being an introductory language...
- 2011-12-18 Perl's public image
The public image of Perl varies quite a lot. Some think of it as an ancient, cryptic, write-only language for CGI-scripts, others of the wonders of CPAN, others...
- 2009-09-26 Catalyst demo app presentation
This presentation "Web Mashups with Catalyst" is a really nice, straighforward example of building a simple Catalyst applications by extensive reuse of existing...
- 2009-09-05 The Ironman blogging challenge
Blogging about Perl has risen dramatically since the Iron Man Blogging Challenge started.
You can follow it easily, as it is aggregated on the Planet Perl...
- 2009-07-06 Perl5 pumpking resigns
Hmm, the Perl5 pumpking has resigned, after being fed up with the flak he was taking.
- 2009-06-01 DBIx::Class
... summed up in one paragraph, nicely:
"That's rather the key advantage of DBIC - a resultset is basically
a sort of lazy virtual view onto your...
- 2008-12-13 Perl is a Shinto shrine
9 minutes and 13 seconds of Clay Shirky talking about community around programming languages.
Funny and interesting.
A propos Perl:
- 2008-10-16 Perl6 is never coming
It is interesting how Perl6 in some circles have become a joke, a thing that never materializes, will break backwards compability and take forever to appear...
- 2008-07-15 Best practices: Configuration
When a module can be passed a reference to some sort of configuration object, the module should not modify the configuration as an undocumented side-effect...
- 2008-03-22 Ward Cunningham interview
The podcast "FLOSS Weekly" (which, by the way always starts with a tacky tag-line: "Netcasts you love - from people you trust", I really hope it is a joke,...
- 2008-03-21 Code Coverage Tools
Hey, camelistas, I want one of these for Perl: The Haskell Program Coverage Toolkit.
- 2007-11-21 Perl turns 20 in december
No longer a teenager, the old bat. Or camel, as it were.
- 2005-02-13 Fun with Mason
This took some digging to find: out_method doesn't seem to work with ApacheHandler.pm.
Hey, my patch got in!
- 2004-06-21 Perl Email Handling
The Evolution of Perl Email Handling.
- 2004-05-22 Vector space searching
I recently read "Building a Vector Space Search Engine in Perl" (yes, I am behind on my bookmarks). This coincides perfectly with this article: "The Fight Against...
- 2004-05-21 Search, news and algorithms
"Nutch is a nascent effort to implement an open-source web search engine."
"Plucene - A Perl port of the Lucene search engine."
"Papercut is a news server...