New closet server #hardware
My closet-server, virgil, is beginning to make a little too much noise and heat.
So, I am considering getting a new, smaller thing to replace it.
As it is - potentially - doing something that requires CPU, it can't be slower than the current one (a 2GHz Pentium 4). It must also have two harddisks for mirroring.
I looked at Dells website, but the lowest price I could find there was a C521 at around 4000 dkr., which included stuff I didn't want to buy, like Windows XP, a cd-drive and a small harddisk.
I haven't been following hardware, so I don't really know what to get and what there is these days.
By looking at Zitechs website I came up with a list like this:
- Cabinet: Jou Jye CF-6199, u.PSU, Sølv
- PSU: Chieftec DPS-300AB-9B, 300W, uATX,, til Origen AE H5
- Motherboard: MSI K9N6SGM-V, NVIDIA® MCP61
- CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Socket AM2, 2x512kB, 32/64-bit, 65W, m. køler (the lower power consumption is attractive as the machine is on all the time)
- RAM: Kingston PC2-4200/DDR2-533, 240-pin, CL4, Kit 2x 512MB (I guess you must have RAM)
- Harddisk 1: Hitachi Deskstar T7K500, SATA 3Gb/s, 7.200RPM, 16MB cache, 320GB
- Harddisk 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, SATA 3Gb/s, 7.200RPM, 16MB cache, 320GB
Are these stupid choices? Do the things fit together? (Especially the PSU and the RAM-speed; I don't have a clue). Should I get something else?
Maybe I should just stop worrying and keep the existing machine; it works fine.
To avoid spam many websites make you fill out a CAPTCHA, or log in via an account at a corporation such as Twitter, Facebook, Google or even Microsoft GitHub.
I have chosen to use a more old school method of spam prevention.
To post a comment here, you need to:
¹ Such as Thunderbird, Pan, slrn, tin or Gnus (part of Emacs).
- Configure a newsreader¹ to connect to the server
- Open the newsgroup called
1119using nntps (nntp over TLS).
lantern.koldfrontand post a follow up to the article.
Or, you can fill in this form: